Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Day 9 - Nicoya and the drive to Nosara

We took a somewhat better road out of Tamarindo to Santa Cruz where we headed south towards Nicoya. On the highway, I saw a speed limit sign just before a crest in the road and I checked my speedometer. The speed limit was 75 kph and I was going about 70. Just over the crest of the hill were some trafficos and they pointed the radar at the car and then pulled me over. The guy asked for my passport and then told me I was going 89 kph. I told him that there was no way I was going that fast and he suddenly said “no ticket, no ticket” and to drive slower. I thought for sure he was going to ask for a bribe. I thanked him for the warning and continued on our way.

I had been in contact through email with an American veterinarian who lived part time in Nosara. He wasn’t going to be there when we visited but he told me to stop by a veterinary clinic in Nicoya and the doctor there would show me around. I forget to bring the directions with me to the clinic but remembered it was near the central park. We drove up and down every street looking for it. We then stopped at the police station where nobody spoke any English but were very eager to help. They showed me a map of the city and pointed at a few areas but I don’t think they really knew what I was looking for. I finally stopped at a human medical clinic and fond someone who spoke English who knew where the veterinarian was located and give me precise directions.

I finally found the veterinarian. He spoke good English and showed me around his clinic. I was very impressed with his equipment and found that in some ways they do things better there then what we do here in the states. He had a lot of plans to upgrade his hospital and want to make it more state of the art (at least by Costa Rican standards).

Veterinarian

After leaving the vet we continued on to Nosara on the paved road to Samara. After the turn of to Nosara the road deteriorated into the typical pot holed road that Costa Rica is famous for. We arrived at the Gilded Iguana at about 3pm. The property consists of three buildings that contain rooms (I think 12 in all) Our room was on a second floor and wasn’t fancy but it was huge. It included a small refrigerator and coffee pot with cafĂ© Britt coffee. The room had bug screens and louvers on three walls to allow fresh air to come in.

Kat was tired and took a nap so I hung out in the bar and had a few beers with the hotel owner, Patti, and a few expat locals. Everybody was very friendly. The bar/restaurant area is on the ground floor and is covered with graffiti and drawings from past guests.

Gilded Iguana

Gilded Iguana

After Kat woke up we went across the street to Blew Dogs Surf Camp for a late lunch. Blew Dogs is a fun bar with a continuous stream of surf videos playing on the two TVs and also has a pool table. There we met Dave and Phadera who live about 90 miles south of us in California. They were also staying at Gilded Iguana. We all then walked down to the beach which was very pretty. The only drawback to the beach is there are no trees directly on the beach so people have built little shade huts from driftwood that line the beach every 200 meters or so.

After watching the sunset we all headed back to Gilded Iguana and found a small party to be going on in the pool area with some of the locals who work at Blew Dogs. The bartender was making sure that everybody was having a good time by mixing up some really strong drinks! We stayed in the pool area for a few hours before going to bed at around 10pm

1 comment: